As you can see from the photographs below I use the largest boxes I could find and started cutting out a house. Since the play was a simple community children's play, the house didn't need to be very tall.
I cut out 4" strips of cardboard from other boxes i had and then cut the strips every 4" (give or take, it doesn't need to be perfect) to have roughly 4" x 4" squares. I did not use a ruler for the cutting.
I then glued them to my roof pieces to make them look like they were shingle pieces.
I then painted the walls of the house using left over home latex paint.
I also cut up strange rounded pieces to immigrate stones for the bottom of my house. I then glued them to the bottom of the house and tried my hand at faux stone...
I cut two large rectangles the height of the window, glued mini strips of cardboard to each of one, glued them on either side of the window and then painted them, creating very simple shudders.
I used another piece of cardboard and cut it in such a way that I created a windowsill flower box. Painted it. Bought dollar store plastic flowers and glued them in side the box.
I then completed the house by adding simple details, attaching the roof and painting anything that needed to be painted.
I painted every inch of cardboard in different shades of grey and tried my hand again at faux stone painting.
The result surprised even me. This actually looked cool to the 8 year olds.